The objectives of the Consortium are to promote the development of education throughout the Commonwealth by mobilising the contribution of education-based NGOs, and to constitute a forum to promote co-operation among member organisations. Membership is open to any pan Commonwealth organisation in the fields of education, youth and culture, with associate membership available to other international or national Commonwealth organisations sharing the Consortium’s objectives. In 2009 there were 18 full members and five associate members.
Address: Commonwealth House, 7 Lion Yard, Tremadoc Road, London SW4 7NQ, UK
Tel: +44 1306 501788 | Fax: +44 1306 501788
Chair: Professor Colin Power (CASTME); Alternate Chair: Mark Robinson (CHEC);Communications Secretary: Stephen Blunden (Link Community Development); Honorary Secretary:Peter Williams (Council for Education in the Commonwealth); Treasurer: John Wood (ACU)
- A major conference every three years to coincide with the Conferences of Commonwealth Education Ministers:
- in 2003 (15CCEM in Edinburgh) on ‘the recruitment, retention and mobility of teachers’
- in 2006 (16CCEM in Cape Town) on ‘promoting school and college partnerships in the Commonwealth’, and
- in 2009 (17CCEM in Kuala Lumpur) on ‘learning to live together: education for social cohesion’. Next in series: 2012 at 18CCEM in Mauritius.
- Biennial workshops on the occasion of the Commonwealth People’s Forum at CHOGM.
- Valletta 2005: Networking Commonwealth people for implementing the MDGs in education.
- Kampala 2007: Education for transformation: joined-up policies for Commonwealth education development.
- Port of Spain 2009: Education for peacebuilding.
- Submissions and representations to Commonwealth bodies and governments on issues concerning Commonwealth education.
- Participation in Commonwealth working groups and consultative meetings.
- Implementing the Edinburgh Commonwealth Action Plan for Education – major report undertaken for the Commonwealth Secretariat in 2005.
- Working together in education: a Commonwealth update – containing 13 briefing notes on different aspects of Commonwealth education co-operation, 2009.
- Commonwealth Education Directory 2009.
- A quarterly Commonwealth Education Calendar of forward meetings and events.
- Report on activities in 2008 and 2009.