University of Mpumalanga
- Excellence; uphold the highest standards of excellence in all its actions, functions and services
- Integrity; undeviating honesty, by utmost fairness, caring for one another as fellow human beings, and treating one another with the utmost respect
- Diversity; unlocking a range of interactions, and enhancing exposure to a wide variety of diverse cultures, backgrounds, views and opinions
- Collaboration; actively seek out opportunities for collaboration with all its stakeholders in maximising the development of human potential and socio-economic development
- Adaptability; acknowledging our ever changing knowledge contexts, institutional environments, and social situations and therefore the need to promote and foster adaptability
- Relevance; endorses the need for its academic programmes, research activities, and engagement projects to respond to its context
- Inspiration; allows and encourages others to be more and do more than what at first seems possible
As one of the first public universities to be established in South Africa since 1994, the University of Mpumalanga (UMP) stands as a symbol of the ambitions of the new South African society. The university was established in 2013 with two campuses, the Mbombela Campus as the main campus, the Siyabuswa Campus, and two sites of delivery in Marapyane and the Mpumalanga Regional Training Trust (MRTT).
Situated in the Mpumalanga Province in the northeast of South Africa, bordered by Mozambique and Swaziland to the east and Gauteng to the west, UMP aspires to be an academic destination of choice for qualifying school leavers from across the province, South Africa and the continent.
The University of Mpumalanga is a comprehensive University that understands that its academic projects must combine both the creation and transfer of knowledge, skills and the development of students as independent and critical thinkers with a passion for knowledge and its application.
Our teaching is theoretically informed, pedagogically appropriate and sensitive to diversity in all its forms in the educational environment, emphasising the interconnectedness of teaching and learning, research, scholarship and engagement.
The development of our qualifications and curricula is context sensitive. Our curricula and extra curricula activities expose students to different ways of knowing and the value of Indigenous Knowledge Systems. Our academic staff is reflective and reflexive practitioners who use information communication technologies to improve learning which occurs in a diverse range of formal and informal settings.
To be an African University leading in creating opportunities for sustainable development through innovation.
To offer high quality educational and training opportunities that foster the holistic development of students through teaching and learning, research and scholarship, and engagement, in collaboration with strategic partners.
General enquiries (Switchboard)
Tel: +27 (0)87 – 150 6740
Mbombela Campus (Main Campus)
Onr R40 and 0725 Roads, Mbombela, South Africa, 1200
Tel: +27 (0)87 – 150 6470
Fax: +27 (0)13 – 7551110
Bheki Mfundo Drive, Siyabuswa, South Africa, 0472
Tel: +27 (0)13 – 590 0590