Pioneer International University
- Academic excellence and impact – eminence in teaching and research scholarship that changes life and deepen understanding. Creativity and innovation are the hallmarks of our efforts.
- Individual development – as each person is unique and full of promise for intellectual and personal growth, we foster individual success and self-determination and believe that education of the whole person builds character, promotes active involvement in the world and produces better citizens.
- Ethical community – recognises the dignity of each member and treats everyone with respect. Our actions are guided by fairness, honesty and integrity.
- Inclusiveness – fostering diversity and providing access to educational and socio-economic opportunities for all regardless of individual backgrounds.
- Innovation – encouraging ingenuity, creativity and discovery.
- Collaboration – advancement of society by building partnerships with students, alumni, business and industry, government bodies, accrediting agencies and the communities the institution serves.
- Teamwork – working together towards a common goal.
- Communication – sharing information openly and in a timely manner.
- Leadership – we value leadership built on trust, integrity and civility.
- Opportunity – with a focus on developing career skills and knowledge, we provide an opportunity for civic engagement, leadership development, advancement and success.
- Critical thinking – we teach and encourage our students to develop analytical and decision-making skills, so that they are able to formulate and solve problems and come up with a way forward.
- Bachelor of Commerce –Aviation
- Bachelor of Commerce – Financial
- Bachelor of Commerce – Marketing
- Bachelor of Commerce – Accounting
- Bachelor of Commerce – Entrepreneurship
- Bachelor of Commerce –Human Resource Management
- Bachelor of Commerce – Insurance Management
- Bachelor of Commerce- Strategic Management
- Bachelor of Commerce – International Business Management
- Bachelor of Commerce – International Business Administration
- Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Petroleum and Gas Management
- Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Science in IT- Artificial Intelligence
- Bachelor of Science in IT- Distributed Systems
- Bachelor of Science in IT- Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in IT- Networking and Administration
- Bachelor of Science in IT- Security and Cryptology
- Diploma in IT
- Diploma in Communication and Digital Media
- Bachelor of Science in Pilot and Business Management
- Diploma in Aviation
- Diploma in Maritime Securities
- Diploma in County Governance
- Diploma in International Relations
- Diploma in Social Work and Community Development
- Diploma in Public Administration.
- Diploma in Peace and Strategic Studies
- The Youth Foundation Programme
- Passport to success
VICE-CHANCELLOR’S WELCOME MESSAGE
I wish to express my gratitude to Commonwealth Education for this great partnership. It is in the interest of both our institutions to collaborate on various aspects that would have mutual benefit to us all. Pioneer International University looks forward to borrowing heavily from the Commonwealth wealth of experience particularly in the education sector. We endeavour to build on the gains that this inaugural collaboration presents as we face the future.
The vision of Pioneer International University (PIU) is to be a world-class, market-driven university of excellence for the good of society. To attain this vision the University shall consciously and deliberately direct resources on advancement of knowledge through cutting-edge research and innovation, melding our rich experiences into holistic, educative processes that expand horizons, produce high calibre leaders, nurture creativity and meet the needs and ambitions of a culturally and internationally diverse range of stakeholders.
The philosophy of PIU is grounded on innovation through opening new areas of thought, research and development. Founded on the spirit of pioneership, Pioneer International University is where people and ideas come together to develop in each member of the PIU family the ability and passion to work creatively and effectively for the betterment of humankind.
As an institution built on the principles of intellectual excellence, we are committed to providing high quality, internationally competitive education, founded on high academic standards, cutting-edge research, public engagement, and productive partnerships with leading institutions in Africa and beyond.
At the University, apart from the academic programmes, various other programmes have been initiated to prepare students for life after campus: maximising the transformation that comes with academia-industry partnerships, we have engaged various banks, industries, professionals in Kenya and abroad to bring the world to PIU. Moreover, students’ placement and internships are part of students’ experience at PIU. Indeed most of these programmes are anchored in transformational life skills whose ultimate goal is to prepare our students to play a transformational role in their communities, country and the world. It is indeed an experience to be a member of the PIU family!
In the next 5 to 10 years, we intend to create new programmes that merge part of our academic curriculum with other sectors such as aviation, media, technology, oil and gas, maritime security, law and governance and education. We also intend to support the funding and application of research and position the university as a driver of innovation and growth. PIU is a Microsoft IT Academy; we provide our faculty and students alike with a digital curriculum and certification for fundamental technological skills. The dream is to make PIU, in collaboration with Microsoft, the University of choice in ICT in Africa.
Finally, PIU is very keen on community engagement and service. We continue to collaborate with communities to enhance communal transformation but more importantly for service learning to our students. Indeed, the leadership and mentorship programme that we inaugurated this year for the high school leavers has gone a long way in preparing the young generation to take their place in the transformational arena in Kenya and the region.
Our students and staff who are from across Africa gives PIU a unique character as a melting pot of cultural experiences. International students are welcome at PIU because they fundamentally contribute to the exchange of knowledge, ideas and insights. We have modern hostels professionally run to take care of all our students.
Conclusively, the quality of our graduates will be reflected in the totality of their character. It is our commitment to provide holistic education to our students. We appreciate that education without character is a nullity and we intend to train our students that honesty, integrity, humility, respect, obedience, hard work amongst other virtues, count in life.
We call upon all within the Commonwealth family and beyond to join PIU and be part of this great and wonderful holistic experience.
Pioneer International University was established in September 2006, as a College and received University accreditation by the Kenyan government in 2012. This was driven by the need to develop well researched and market-oriented course programmes that shape the future of both the Kenyan and global economy.
We are located at the heart of the Kenyan capital Nairobi, 1.5 km from the central business district.
Pioneer International University (PIU) boasts of a combination of carefully developed curricula mapped with the world of work needs. The School of Aerospace Science and Maritime studies is the premier Aviation Training School at University level in the region.
Similar efforts dedicated towards being the Technology Institute (PIU is a Microsoft IT Academy) in the region. To this end, PIU students engage in practical work through mandatory industrial attachment programmes, projects and exhibitions.
We foster and support a visible network of action-oriented learning experiences for students and alumni supported by cutting-edge research and innovation to meet the needs and ambitions of a diverse range of stakeholders.
We are a vibrant learning community linking the academic world and industry through the effective use of personnel, facilities and state-of-the-art technology; placing us in a class of our own dedicated to educating socially responsible citizens for active and dedicated lives as high calibre and competent leaders in their professions and their communities.
To be a world-class, market-driven University of excellence for the good of society.
Pioneer International University aspires to be a market-driven University in a class of its own dedicated to educating socially responsible citizens for active and dedicated lives as high calibre and competent leaders in their professions and their communities.
PIU’s student-centered faculty and staff will inspire academically qualified students from diverse backgrounds and all ages to benefit from rigorous higher education and professional development opportunities in the dynamic global environment.
Deeply rooted in practical scholarship and principles of social justice expressed as ethical awareness, leadership development, economic progress and civic engagement, Pioneer International University will encourage community partnerships and prepare its diverse graduates for responsible citizenship in a global society.
PIU directs its diverse resources on advancement of knowledge through cutting-edge research and innovation, melding its rich experiences into holistic educative processes that expand horizons, produce high calibre leaders, nurture creativity and meet the needs and ambitions of a culturally and internationally diverse range of stakeholders.
Inspired by the desire to serve society through education, PIU declares its purpose to be the education of the whole person.
PIU core values
We hold ourselves responsible for acting out these core values, which are critical for carrying out our mission in pursuit of our vision:
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
SCHOOL OF AEROSPACE SCIENCE AND MARINE STUDIES
SCHOOL OF DEVELOPMENT AND STRATEGIC STUDIES
THE LEADERSHIP AND MENTORSHIP ACADEMY
Dr Gideon Maina J.K. – PhD is the Vice-Chancellor of Pioneer International University since September 2014.
An expert in Political Science and International Law, Gideon has more than 10 years of academic research, institutional and administrative expertise straddling five universities and a multiple local and international institutions, boards and task teams. He holds qualifications in Political Science and International Law from three universities including the Harvard Kennedy School and the Peace Hague Academy of International Law. He was instrumental in establishing Moot courts and simulation debates across two universities in Kenya. He is an alumnus of the Africa IHL fellows based in Pretoria South Africa.
Prior to his appointment as Vice-Chancellor, Dr Maina taught and supervised research at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, in areas of Political Science and Public International Law. He later became Dean in charge of student administration, financial aid and external linkages at the Catholic University of Eastern Africa from 2010-2014. He was the acting Vice-Chancellor at the University in 2010 and instrumental in transforming students’ governance and chaired various strategic committees at the same University.
Dr Maina is a consultant on International Humanitarian Law at the Kenya Foreign Service Institute, the International Peace Support Training Centre (IPSTC) and the Kenya delegation of ICRC in which position he is responsible for stimulating knowledge and understanding of, and ultimately respect for International Humanitarian Law within the academic community in Kenya and beyond.
Lastly, Dr Maina has a lot of passion for community service and has been involved in various projects within the church and society particularly relating to the needy and vulnerable. He is an astute and versatile debater on contemporary issues and a great African optimist.